Friday, December 02, 2011

Here Am I Send Me! . . . Zaaaaap!

I grew up in the 80's when certain sections of the Charismatic church made the "experience" of the Holy Spirit a prime emphasis.  Speaking in tongues has been around for a long time, but then it moved to being slain in the Spirit, and then some pockets of the movement took it to a strange level introducing such things as Holy Spirit laughter and Holy Spirit barking. If anything, this was more of a reflection of the culture moving into a more experiential and instant gratification type of lifestyle.

Now we come to the present.  What does our culture seem to be fixated on especially in times of crisis?  Superheroes!  Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Batman, and on and on and on.  Soooooo, it would make sense that the Holy Spirit must be moving in this direction also!  The newest Holy Spirit gift is . . . . . teleportation!  Yep.  This would have been great for my Africa trip last Summer.  Would have saved a ton of money.

Also, one thing that really struck me was something that the female commentator said about teleporting from "meeting to meeting".  Really?!?!  If I had the gift of teleporting I would go from one meeting to ANOTHER meeting?! I think not.  I would be teleporting OUT of meetings and onto a roller coaster at Cedar Point or a beach in Florida or to a movie theatre, or my quiet house with a pile of books and a coffee.  But certainly not to another meeting.

And if the Holy Spirit is moving in the direction of superhero gifts then I want to make a list of what I hope God will shower down upon me as spiritual gifts in the near future!

1. Flying
2. Invisibility
3. Super strength
4. Shape shifting
5. Being able to use the "force"
6. Radioactive spider-bite abilities
7. The Matrix chosen one powers
8. Metal blades that come out from between my knuckles
9. Werewolf powers
10. T2000 Liquid Metal Terminator

No comments: