Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sexual Preferences of Wizards

Okay! I have got to say this and get it off my chest. WHY? Why is this necessary? I am absolutely confused why J. K. Rowling would do this. If there are people out there that read Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings and other such books and they really must know the sexual preferences of each character then let's leave them to their own speculations and fantasies. But I just don't understand why this is a question that she is being asked and why she decided to answer it the way she did. To bring in such a hot topic issue into an incredibly successful series of books after the fact that she has completed the series and has made her fortune doesn't make sense to me. I have read the entire series and never once did I think about the sexuality of who got it on with whom and what their preferences or sexual idiosyncrasies were. I spent years defending her books against the Religious Right who saw her as introducing witchcraft to their kids. I still stand solidly on the facts that J. K. Rowling is a brilliant and extremely creative writer and I love the film adaptations of her books. But to bring sexual politics into a book that is read by a lot of children I think is in poor taste. It is up to the parents to educate their children about sexuality when they believe that their children are at the stages to understand and process the necessary information. I personally am getting tired of a culture that want to try and beat parents to the punch by cramming their views on our kids at a younger and younger age.

No comments: