Sunday, March 06, 2011

A look at the ways the world could end – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Very interesting thoughts on the Apocalypse! This is my take on this whole thing and it isn't very spiritual: There is a lot of money to be make in fear. If you are able to convince people that your book has all the answers, and a date that look not-to-far from our future, surprisingly it will fly off the shelves. Or write a fiction novel(s) about the apocalypse and you will makes millions. It is sad that we focus so much energy on this. I wish we had just as much passion towards the Sermon on the Mount or John 14:11-13 -

11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

What if we really believed that Jesus empowered us to do even greater things than he did? What if we really believed the Spirit of God calls us to restore His creation, love others and to be agents of healing, comfort, care, and peace. I wonder what the state of Christianity would be today if we were more focused on this, rather than crazy apocalyptic speculations. Believing in doomsday predictions so intently, I believe, causes one to subtly give into the sin of sloth. Why should I care about the environment? God will make all things better. Why should I care about world affairs? God will destroy the wicked and will blissfully take us all away. 1 Timothy 2 states:

1 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Maybe the reason no apocalypse has happened in light of thousands of predictions is because God is waiting for the church to be the church he expects us to be in which all people are coming to know Him because of our love; not repelling them because of our indifference, or hate, or laziness to engage the world, to be a force of transformation and redemption in the lives of people.

Ah, what do I know. If you want a good book on the Apocalypse that is also very entertaining and humorous read "The Pocket Guide to the Apocalypse" by Jason Boyett. Great stuff. No scare tactics, just shining a bit of perspective on a topic that makes Hollywood and authors filthy rich!

And if you are really into fear and the demise of the human race, then read this article from Time Magazine on the Singularity Project. It will melt your brain.

A look at the ways the world could end – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

No comments: